Deborah Healey's Attic - Presentations
Recent (2014 to present)
(Many internal links may be broken, especially in earlier files)
- Ceibal Encounter: Closing and Opening (keynote). Montevideo, Uruguay, September 2018.
- Tunisia TESOL Conference 2018: Reading and Writing in the Digital Age (keynote); Technology Tools for Busy Teachers; Creating Rubrics for Assessing Writing (pre-conference workshop). Tunis, May.
- American Center: Gamifying Your Class: Why and How. Tunis, Tunisia, May 2018.
- IATEFL Conference 2018: Gamifying your Class: The Basics. Bristol, England, April.
- TESOL Conference 2018: Quality Assurance in Online Teacher Education (panelist); Trace Effects in the Classroom (co-presenter). Chicago, IL, April.
- English for Excellence (EfeX) Workshop: Improving English Language Teaching with Technology and Assessment Tools. Surabaya, Indonesia, February 2018.
- Joint Asia TEFL/TEFLIN (Indonesia) Conference 2017: Creating Rubrics for Assessing Writing and Speaking (pre-conference workshop); Gamification: Hype or Useful Teacher Tool? (plenary); Tech Tools for Busy Teachers; Reading and Writing in the Digital Age. Yogyakarta, July.
- CETE (TESOL Georgia) Conference 2017: Technology Tools for Busy Teachers (plenary), Designing a Massive Open Online Course (keynote). Tbilisi, Georgia, May.
- TESOL 2017: Who Benefits from MOOCs, and Who Pays the Cost? (co-presenter); Shaping the Way We Teach English: The MOOC (co-presenter); Gaming with Trace Effects (co-presenter). Seattle, March.
- Teaching English to Generation Z. Full-day workshop at English for Excellence (EfeX). Surabaya, Indonesia; January, 2017.
- Technology training for teachers: two days of workshops for language program and content area faculty at Centro de Idiomas, Universidad de la Frontera. Temuco, Chile; November-December 2016.
- Technology training for teachers: week-long session for language program faculty at Centro de Idiomas, Universidad de la Frontera. Temuco, Chile; June 2016.
- English Language Teacher Training and Certification Program: Two sets of 2-day workshops on project-based learning in four sites. Ramallah, Hebron, Nablus, (via digital videoconference) Gaza; January and May, 2016.
- TESOL 2016: Online Course Development in MOOCs: Canvas Network; Tea with Distinguished TESOLers (invited presenter); Shaping the Way We Teach English: The MOOC (co-presenter); History of the Electronic Village: Typologies in CALL; CALL for Newcomers (co-presenter). Baltimore, April.
- ORTESOL Conference 2015: Plenary – Digital Tools for Reading and Writing. Portland, Oregon, November.
- TriTESOL (Oregon, Washington, British Colombia) Conference 2015: Massively Connected: Building Community in a MOOC; English Teacher Training: A Gabon Perspective. DesMoines, Washington, October.
- White House Roundtable on Technology in English: Discussion of technology resources. September, 2015.
- Colorado TESOL Conference 2015: Creating a Virtual Reality Game for ELT: Trace Effects; Enhancing Teaching and Learning with the TESOL Technology Standards. Denver, May.
- Serbia English Language Teachers Association Conference 2015: Plenary – Intelligent Use of Technology in the Classroom; Digital Storytelling. Belgrade, May.
- Workshops: Technology Tools for Busy Teachers; Digital Storytelling. Belgrade, Kragujevac, Novi Sad, May.
- HUPE (Croatia Association of Teachers of English) Conference 2015: Plenary - Gamification: Hype or Useful Teacher Tool?; Technology Tools for Busy Teachers; Creating Rubrics for Assessing Writing and Speaking. Sibenik, April 2015.
- TESOL 2015: Managing the Darker Side of Technology: Mobile Devices; Shaping the Way We Teach English: The MOOC (co-presenter); CALL for Newcomers (co-presenter); Enhancing Teaching with the TESOL Technology Standards (panelist). Toronto, March.
- Workshops for teachers in Gabon (with K. Yerian): Constructivist Pedagogy and Internet Tools (primary course developer, co-teacher). Libreville, Gabon, March-April 2015.
- ORTESOL Conference 2014: Gamification in ELT; Massively Connected: Creating Community in a MOOC (with J.Magoto). Portland, Oregon. November 2014.
- International Conference on Applied Arts: English for Education in a Networked World (keynote), Managing Large and Mixed Ability EFL Classes.Bangkok, Thailand. July 2014.
- IATEFL LTSIG & TESOL CALL-IS Gaming and Gamification - a Win-win for Language Learning web conference: Networking Event (w. Heike Philip), Closing Panel (with co-presenters). June 2014.
- Workshops for teachers in Gabon (with K. Yerian): Taking a Learner-Centered Approach to English for Academic Purposes (primary course developer, co-teacher) .Libreville, Gabon. April 2014
- TESOL 2014: Tea with Distinguished TESOLers (invited presenter); Using Trace Effects to Spark Language Learning and Teaching Pre-convention Institute with R. Rosenberg; CALL for Newcomers with J. Madden; Shaping the Way We Teach English – the MOOC Version with L. Opp-Beckman, J. Magoto, E. Hanson-Smith, J. Gardy. Portland, Oregon, April.
- Workshops for National Institute Schools teachers: Finding and Using Authentic Material, Writing Effective Learning Objectives, Creating Rubrics for Assessing Writing and Speaking, Technology Tools for Busy Teachers, Creating Better Handouts with Graphics, Digital Storytelling, Trace Effects, Adding Critical Thinking to Classroom Activities; plus mini-workshops on Resources for Writing, Resources for Pronunciation, Shaping the Way We Teach English MOOC Preview. Cairo, Egypt, January 2014.
- Workshop for AMIDEAST English Language Resource Teachers: Finding and Using Authentic Material. Cairo, Egypt, January 2014.
- NileTESOL 2014: Gamification: Communicating with “Digital Natives” (plenary); Building Engagement with Trace Effects. Cairo, Egypt, January 2014.
- TESOL Symposium: Using Graphic Novels to Increase Student Motivation. Cairo, Egypt, January 2014.
Workshop for Access Teachers: Digital storytelling. Cairo, Egypt, January 2014.
- Foreign Language Instructional Technology (FLIT) Conference: The TESOL Technology Standards: Leading the Field. Nicosia, Cyprus, December 2013.
- TESOL CALL-IS/IATEFL LT SIG Joint Online Conference: Welcome address (with P. Sweeney); TESOL Technology Standards (with P. Hubbard, G. Kessler, S. Ioannou-Georgiou, P. Ware, E. Hanson-Smith); Closing address and Q&A moderator (with P. Sweeney). Global webinar, October 2013.
- ORTESOL Conference 2013: Gamification in English Language Teaching (with K. Liu). Portland, Oregon, October.
- International Language for Communication Conference: Gamification: Communicating with Digital Natives (keynote). Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 2013.
- WorldCALL 2013: Help Shape TESOL Technology Standards (with P. Hubbard). Glasgow, Scotland, July.
CALICO 2013. ANVILL 2.0 (With J. Magoto). Waikiki, Hawaii, May.
- TESOL 2013: Taming the Microsoft Beast (Pre-convention Institute with T. Robb); Research and the Theoretical Basis for Game-based Language Learning (CALL-IS Academic Session); CALL for Newcomers with J. Madden; Challenges and Triumphs: Teaching an Online Listening and Speaking Course with D. Shaw; Training Teachers to use VR Games in the Classroom with R. Rosenberg, D. Bikowski, J. Gardy; Creating Virtual Reality Games with R. Rosenberg, J. Gardy, J. Kuhn. Dallas, March.
- American Corner lecture. Critical thinking with YouTube. Public lecture, Manama, Bahrain, February 2013.
- Bahrain Teachers College workshop series. Manama, Bahrain, February 2013.
- Kanoo International School workshop series. Manama, Bahrain, February 2013.
- Qatar TESOL 2013: Gamification: A way to hook digital natives (plenary), Trace Effects: A computer game and more for the English teaching classroom. Doha, February.
- US Department of State webinar: Trace Effects: How do you know what worked? January 2012.
- US Department of State webinar: Using Trace Effects graphic novels and video in the classroom, January 2012.
- US Department of State webinar: Trace Effects Extending Learning: Practice Activities and Multi-player games. December 2012.
- Presentations in Colombia in December 2012: Activate E-Teacher, ELT Upgrade, BNC Workshops
- ORTESOL 2012: Trace Effects: A Computer Game for Learning English; Getting the Most out of Google: Searches on Steroids with D. Shaw. Portland, November.
- Presentations in Argentina in May 2012: ELT Resources for Reading and Writing, Learning Through Assessment, Free Online ELT Resources for Listening, Speaking, and Pronunciation, Tech Tools for Busy Teachers
- Presentations in Chile in May 2012: Tech Tools for Busy Teachers, Using Rubrics/Learning Through Assessment, Games in the ELT Classroom, Creating a Course Website with Google Sites, Free Online ELT Resources for Listening, Speaking, and Pronunciation
- TESOL 2011: Call for Newcomers, Improving Aural/Oral Skills (ATDOP course), Trace Effects
- Orange County webinar in January, 2012
- Uruguay presentations in October, 2011 - Foro de Lenguas; University of Montevideo; CERP Florida; PAD meeting; Consejo de Educacion Primaria; Alianza
- 2011 E-Teacher Workshops at UMBC: Critical Thinking workshop in Baltimore, Maryland
- Edutainment as a Formula for Learning + Fun in EFL webinar in June, 2011
- TESOL 2011: CALL for Newcomers; Technology Standards for Classroom Teachers; MSN-UO Gaza program
- 2011 ABS Conference: A Guide to Successful Online/Hybrid Classes in Buenos Aires, Argentina and Administrators' Guide to Successful Online/Hybrid Classes in Montevideo, Uruguay
- 2011 National Conference for Teachers of English- Costa Rica. Plenary: Intelligent Use of Technology
- Thailand workshops 2011. Rubrics workshop in Bangkok; pre-conference workshop at Prince Royals College; Thailand TESOL workshop
- Instituto Cultural Domínico Americano Annual Conference for Teachers of English 2010. Santiago and Santo Doming, Dominican Republic:, May-June.
- West Bank workshops (2010) - English Access teachers (US Dept. of State) and Collaborative Projects in Teaching (AMIDEAST). Ramallah: Aprli.
- TESOL 2010. CALL-IS Academic Session; InterSection with SPLIS and CALL; Newcomers Orientation to CALL; Transcending Technical Limitations in Distance Education. Boston: March.
- University of Manouba (2010). Series of lectures and workshops for the Faculty of Arts & Letters. Tunis, Tunisia: January-February
- University of British Columbia Centre for Intercultural and Language Studies (2010). Feedback & Cross-Cultural Sensitivity in Academic Writing. Vancouver, BC: January.
- ORTESOL 2009. The Joys of Internationalism, Always a 3-ring Circus? Plenary with Leslie Opp-Beckman. Portland: November.
- Western Hemisphere EducationUSA Adviser Training Program 2009: Do's and Don'ts for Student Success in Online Classes presentation. Mexico City, September-October.
- RELC International Seminar 2009 (Singapore) and Post-RELC Seminar (Bangkok): Synchronizing Language Software and Language Pedagogy (PowerPoint in PDF form and paper); TESOL's Technology Standards with Phil Hubbard (PowerPoint in PDF form; link to the standards; go to the discussion area; download the Vignette Template and the list of Standards)
- TESOL 2009: The beginnings of CALL and the CALL-IS—from vision to reality and beyond (with Roger Kenner, Vance Stevens) - slide show at http://www.slideshare.net/healeyd/healey-25th-anniversary/ and handout (wiki with links to other files; audio recording of the whole session) ; TESOL's Technology Standards (with Phil Hubbard) - slide show at http://www.slideshare.net/healeyd/technology-standards-tesol09 ; Path to Teacher Training in Yemen (with Byrne Brewerton, Abdullah Al Ghorbany, Donna Shaw, Lis Wilson ) - slideshow
- OSU/ELI site: OSU-Yemen Higher Education Development Project , March-May 2008
- TESOL 2008 - CALL for Newcomers, TESOL Technology Standards, Technology Tools for IEPs: Speaking
- Vietnam - GloCALL2007 (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City) and workshops in Danang and Hue
- Lane Community College workshop, June 2007 - Foreign language resources, Hot Potatoes website for information and downloads
- TESOL 2007 - CALL for Newcomers (PowerPoint and A Place to Start in Selecting Software update); Computer-mediated communication in teaching speaking and pronunciation (Technology and Speech Academic Session panelist)
- ThaiTESOL 2007 - The Internet: Helping create 'New English' or reinforcing old dominance?
- TESOL 2006 - Newcomer's Orientation to CALL and "A Place to Start in Selecting Software" (updated)
- Conference on Teaching Applied Languages: Theory and Practice; Nabeul, Tunisia; November 2006.
"Best Practices in Computer Applications for ESP" PowerPoint slide show (works best in Internet Explorer) and related web links
"Selecting and Evaluating Online Resources for Scientific English" PowerPoint slide show and related links
- TESOL 2005 - Future Trends in CALL panel (PowerPoint show - works best in Internet Explorer, alas) - links to other panelists Vance Stevens, Jim Duber, and Karen Price
- Newcomers Session
- Thailand - Mae Fah Luang University, April 2004; Kasetsart University, April 2004
- Secondary Education Quality Improvement Project Workshops in Thailand in November 2004
- Integrated English Language Project-II -- Egyptian teacher training at CDIST, Feb-Mar 2003 (ELI/OSU site), Leslie Opp-Beckman's IELP site
- CATESOL 2003, Pasadena - From the one-computer classroom to the wireless lab
- TESOL 2003 - CALL Interest Section Academic Session, Creating Meaning with Computers
- Presentations in Spain - January 2003: UPC workshops and CILFE6 conference plenary (PowerPoint version)
- Suranaree University of Technology presentations, August 2002
- TESOL 2002, Salt Lake City, April 2002
CALL Academic Session, Theory meets practice in CALL: Learner autonomy with technology
Pronunciation Colloquium, Using technology to teach pronunciation: An overview of pronunciation software
ESOL training for K-8 mainstream teachers (related website at ELI/OSU)
Internet Faire Classics: Tech Tip of the Month
- Workshops for teachers in Qatar, March 2002
- Plenary and workshop at the Second Annual National ELT conference, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman, March 2002
- Are Technology-Using Students Better Learners? from Teacher to Teacher: the Process of Language Learning, a webcast in Abu Dhabi.
- Workshop at Norwalk Community College, February 2002: Technology - Some Ideas for Classroom Uses
- ORTESOL 2001: Computer and Internet Tools for Elementary and Secondary Teachers
Workshops in 2000 and earlier
- CULI National Seminar 2000, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok (See a copy of the related article, in PDF format.)
From Static to Dynamic: Making the Web Come Alive
Unleashing Student Creativity with Technology
- Cybertools: Koc University CALL Conference
- Culpeper Workshop at University of Puget Sound
- CATESOL 2000 presentation: Going Beyond Links into Internet Interactivity
- Sabanci University Workshop -- teacher training in Turkey
- 1998 Georgia TESOL handouts -- Internet workshop and "Technology's Promise and Pitfalls" plenary
- Le Passage ... une voyage dans l'histoire from Les Reseaux Multimedia et Langues EtrangËres at L'Université de Technologie de Compiegne in March 1998
- TESOL '98
Ergonomic and Task-Based CALL with Doug Coleman and Susan Dever Room Design outline
CALL on a Shoestring with Norm Johnson
- Tech-Niques templates with Leslie Opp-Beckman
- Online Seminar pages - November, 1997
- TESOL 96 Pre-Convention Institute pages - Internet in the Classroom with Tom Robb and Ron Corio
- Some computer ethics links